Carbon monoxide leak at learning center in Allentown hospitalizes 30


More than 30 people, including children, were hospitalized Tuesday after a malfunctioning heating unit caused a carbon monoxide leak at a Pennsylvania day care center, officials said.

The leak happened at Happy Smiles Learning Center in Allentown, about 60 miles north of Philadelphia.

St. Luke’s University Health Network, which has two hospitals in Allentown, admitted 13 patients – 10 children and three adults – spokesperson Sam Kennedy told USA TODAY. All were stable, Kennedy said. 

Two emergency rooms in the Lehigh Valley Health Network received 17 children and two adults who were also listed as stable, spokesperson Brian Downs said in an email. 

First responders originally went to the day care center Tuesday morning to answer reports of an unconscious child, Allentown Fire Department Capt. John Christopher said. When they arrived, atmosphere monitors alerted them to high levels of carbon monoxide, which is poisonous and fatal in high enough quantities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: